Aidan Birhanu Miller Robinson

Monday, October 4, 2010

Pictures of the Countryside in Ethiopia (around the area of Durame)

I'm borrowing this post from the Journey to Mimi (http://www.journeytomimi.blogspot.com/) blog. It's another blog from a family adopting through Holt, and is a great source of information about this incredible process of adopting from Ethiopia.


When we go to Ethiopia, we will be traveling to the south of Addis Ababa to Durame. This is an amazing trip where we are going to be able to see the area closer to where our child came from and was turned over into care. This trip takes us out of the populated area and to the rural countryside. Before I saw pictures of Ethiopia, I pictured a hot, dry desert-like area. I could not have been more wrong. This country is absolutely beautiful (and green!). Here are pictures I have been given from people who have already traveled...


























This last picture shows women hauling water in the big yellow containers. This is (almost) always the work of the women and they sometimes have to travel far away to go get it. I have learned a lot about the water situation in Ethiopia at www.charitywater.org (and from what I have learned, these women in the picture are very lucky to have animals to help them pack it). This charity is near and dear to our hearts because it does so much work in Ethiopia and 100% of the money goes to fund their projects. $20 can give one person clean water for 20 years! This is such a huge thing in a country where people are literally dying of illnesses from their unclean water. It is really amazing, so please check them out.



I have a feeling, I'm going to love this country!

No comments:

Post a Comment